Dealing with Crisis Emails
Here are some important things to remember when dealing with a crisis email (Suicide, rape, abortion, abuse, etc). Remember our role is to walk alongside these visitors. We are not their emergency responders. Mentors who are going to be responding to crisis emails, must check their TMC in-box daily and respond immediately, if the mentee is talking about suicide.
Anytime you get an email where the mentee mentions suicide please use the Suicide email template.
If you do not hear back within 24 hours send the Suicide follow-up template.
In TMC, the templates drop down list is on the top right corner, after you click reply.
- What has happened that you have come to feel this way?
- Have you considered that your thoughts could be the wrong way of dealing with the situation?
- Have you considered that suicide is not the answer, but getting help is?
- What ways of coping have you considered in your situation so far?
It is very important that the person be responded to quickly or you reassign the email immediately. If you are not a Teen mentor and you know the person is between the ages of 13-17 years, then reassign the email back to your community leader. NOTE: Legally we are not allowed to respond to anyone who is 12 and under. These emails MUST be reassigned to your Community Leader.
In your first email, tell them we are not professionals so please seek professional help immediately.
- Suicide -(Each link is specific to Suicide)
- Abortion -(Each link is specific to Abortion)
- Rape -(Each link is specific to Rape)
- Abuse -(Each link is specific to Abuse)
- Library – gives you (the mentor) examples of questions to ask your mentee.
- For other issues and hotlines please review our list here: Hotlines
How to handle Crisis Situations
Please add this page to your favorites or bookmark for future reference.
That completes the Mentor Training for the TMC, for more helpful links please check them out on the bottom on the Index page.
Previous: Teen Abuse Form
Back to the Mentor Training Home Page
Back to Topical Life Issues