FormBuilder v. 0.86

Better late than never I suppose. (this post, that is) We released FormBuilder v. 0.86 a few weeks ago. You can find it on WordPress.org. Features include:

* Bug Fix: Fixed problem with DB_COLLATE and DB_CHARSET variables not being set.
* Bug Fix: Changed duplicate form checking method.
* Clean Up: Changed post-to-form attachment box to list forms available alphabetically.
* Clean Up: New forms will now be named ‘A New Form’ so as to appear at the top of the forms list.
* Clean Up: Creating a new form will automatically load the form editor.
* Clean Up: Updated for compatibility with WordPress 3.0.1.

If you have questions or concerns, check out our new (trial) support center on Get Satisfaction.

137 Responses to “FormBuilder v. 0.86”

Pierre says:

Hey

Thanks for this amazing plugin !

I have an annoying problem …

Everything works well but the results exported to emails or in csv contain a lot of weird characters instead of french characters … Any idea about how to solve this issue ?

Any help will be much appreciated !

Thank youuuuuuuu so much !

Hi,

Still getting “Error: Form failed to save” when editing or creating default form or new forms.
Have the following in wp-config…

/** Database Charset to use in creating database tables. */
define(‘DB_CHARSET’, ‘utf8′);

/** The Database Collate type. Don’t change this if in doubt. */
define(‘DB_COLLATE’, ‘utf8_unicode_ci’);

The database is using collation of utf8_unicode_ci
Is there anything else i should be doing and looking for as i have added and removed the plugin and i am having no luck.

Thanks in anticipation.

I have recreated the DB and ensured the Charset is utf8, i have reinstalled the plugin and i can create a form, but when i go to edit the form it will not save, please help as this is now a major problem!!!

To Add,

If i copy and try and run the SQL script passed to the SQL server i get the error..

This is the script…
SELECT option_name, option_value FROM wp_options WHERE autoload = ‘yes’
UPDATE `wp_options` SET `option_value` = ’1297858071′ WHERE `option_name` = ‘_transient_doing_cron’
SELECT t.*, tt.* FROM wp_terms AS t INNER JOIN wp_term_taxonomy AS tt ON t.term_id = tt.term_id WHERE tt.taxonomy IN (‘category’) ORDER BY t.name ASC
SELECT * FROM wp_posts WHERE (post_type = ‘page’ AND post_status = ‘publish’) ORDER BY post_title ASC
SELECT * FROM wp_users WHERE user_login = ‘washhouseadmin’
SELECT user_id, meta_key, meta_value FROM wp_usermeta WHERE user_id IN (1)
SELECT option_value FROM wp_options WHERE option_name = ‘db_upgraded’ LIMIT 1
SELECT comment_approved, COUNT( * ) AS num_comments FROM wp_comments GROUP BY comment_approved
SELECT option_value FROM wp_options WHERE option_name = ‘dismissed_update_core’ LIMIT 1
SELECT option_value FROM wp_options WHERE option_name = ‘menu_items’ LIMIT 1
UPDATE `wp_formbuilder_forms` SET `name` = ‘A New Contact Form’, `subject` = ‘Enquiry From Wash House Web Site’, `recipient` = ‘email@domain.com’, `method` = ‘POST’, `action` = ”, `thankyoutext` = ”, `autoresponse` = ” WHERE `id` = ’1′
SELECT * FROM wp_formbuilder_forms WHERE id = ’1′
SELECT * FROM wp_formbuilder_responses
SELECT * FROM wp_formbuilder_fields WHERE form_id = 1 ORDER BY display_order ASC

This is the error…

Error Code: 1064
You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near ‘UPDATE `wp_options` SET `option_value` = ’1297858071′ WHERE `option_name` = ‘_tr’ at line 2

Also if i just try and execute the first two lines it fail but using the update statement alone work so something isnt right in the select statement at the top.

Focus Technology says:

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated!

Hi Focus Technology,

I’m really not sure what would be causing that problem. The error code 1064 you mentioned doesn’t seem related to FormBuilder. As an experiment, have you tried disabling all other plugins on the blog, then trying to save a new form?

Another option to try (if you don’t mind mucking with your blog) is to try a different theme. We are aware of a few themes that seem to mess with FormBuilder for some strange reason. We’re still trying to debug it.

Hope this helps,

GB says:

Hi,

Great plugin. Great work.

Is there a way to forward a user to a page after completing a form — and — receiving an email copy of the form with the content the user filled in?

There is an email option and a forward option, bt I don’t see an option for both together.

Appreciate the help

Hey GB,

There is a followup page / url field you can use for that purpose. It will both send an email AND bounce the person to the specified followup page.

icute says:

at last i found a simple and great form builder!
Thanks only a couple of questions:
1. Can we have text area only for instruction and *required options for some fields to be fill in.
2.How to edit the single line text box width? i have checked the css but dont know where the class is.

Kindly need your help on this thanks ;)

Jorge says:

I’m interested in adding text fields for instruction too.
Is there any option to do this?

Thanks in advance.

James says:

I would suggest using the comments field for this purpose.

oustcat says:

Hi. It appears that the form ID is not included in the page divs causing the JS providing the pagination to error when there are multiple multi-page forms displayed on one page.

Are you aware of this issue? If so/not, can a resolution be expected soon?

Hosting: Dreamhost
WordPress Release: 3.0.5
FormBuilder Version: 0.86
MySQL: 5.1.39-log
PHP: 5.2.15
Error message: none
Steps: none
URL on dev site: http://test.anewleash.org/adopt/adoption-process/
Form links: “I am interested in a cat”, “I am interested in a dog”

Sharad says:

I just came accross this plug in, it is really amezing…! Thanks for all your efforts on this.

Sharad

I love this form builder! Very easy to use. Here is my question: When exporting, how to do I exclude the “Field Name” from populating with the data? It is time consuming to have to go into each cell and delete the “Field Name”. If you know of a trick please let me know as the reason I’m using a Form is to collect the data, not the Field Name.

Thanks in advance!

Gary

Hi American Kenpo Master,

If you export results from a single form instead of doing a mass export, I think you’ll find the results more to your liking.

James W.

I just discovered the problem with the export. I was exporting from the Stored Results main page, check marking the ones I wanted and chose “Export” in the “With Selected” dropdown menu. This produced an .csv that included the field label and data which is not what I wanted.
So I chose the “Full Export” in the upper right hand corner instead, which exported the information submitted with the “Field Label” and data separated!
I love this plugin and as soon as I can donate, I’m donating!

markAPR says:

Hi there,
I’d like to be able to use your forms plugin with custom roles that i have created with the role manager plugin – I have a role called ‘SalesEditor’ that is set to level_9 – i can’t get the formbuilder option visible in the wordpress menu for this role –

Is there a way for me to do this please ? – could you point me in the direction of where the capabilities are set,

Great plugin anyway !!

Thanks

Joan says:

hi.. great plugin!

i’m not able to find if there is a way to get a link into the “thankyoutext” box .. it seems to corrupt it every time. specifically, the quotation marks before and after the link are turned into this : " so that the link itself does not work. is there possibly a fix or a workaround for this?

icute says:

i believe the thank you text is created with no html tag allowed. I also try to put an image there but no luck. Hoping the developer would consider to fix this to add the feature.

Joan,

Try just putting it in the following format:

Don’t use html.

Let us know how it goes.

Gary

Marcel says:

When using the form in the Opera Browser the date picker popup does not function, so the form can’t be used in Opera … Firefox and Safari do work properly

Chris says:

I have installed formbuilder and everything is working great except for one small problem. It seems as though I receive every submission in my email twice. Anyone else had this problem?

D'Oyen says:

Hi there,

The plugin seems to be working perfectly – except for the fact that I can’t seem to reach the “Thank You” page. Instead it reloads the contact sheet with the error

“Form Problem:

You have already submitted this form data once.”

Also – i can’t seem to get the Captcha field to work either. That also comes back with an error all the time.

Note: the e-mail seems to be sent despite the errors shown

Fox says:

Feature Request:

I want to break up a large form with sections/headings.
Can this be done?

Fox says:

Also,

Multiple choice. How do you do that? Multiple checkboxes?

Hout says:

Hey Fox,
Have you had any luck with this?

Hi Fox,

For sections and headings, I would recommend the comments area with your own custom HTML.

As for multiple choices, you can either do multiple checkboxes (would allow the user to select multiple options) or radio buttons. (allow the user to select one of many)

James W.

I am using your FormBuilder plug-in application fine on robertcascio.com/about/feedback, but it will not function on my real estate site: floridalandgroup.com/rent/apply, floridalandgroup.com/lease/apply, floridalandgroup.com/resources/payment. Can you offer any troubleshooting advice. I have re-installed wordpress, upgraded to PHP 5, turned the SSL on and off, etc. all to no avail. It wouldn’t even provide the error message when trying to submit an empty form. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Robert

Dan Turkette says:

Robert,

I just tried it. It seemed to work fine. Did you get an email?

I got this:

I encourage your feedback about this website content or layout.
TRANSMISSION SUCCESS. Thank you for your comments.

markus021169 says:

Fantastic Plug-In!
I want to use it for easily create XML files. Unfortunately, I do not know how I can summarize tags nested into groups. Unfortunately the target format is given to me, without that I can influence this. Also, do I have to declare the doctype in the header of the created file. Is there a way, to create a XML file including these features with this enchanting form?

Hi Dan,
Thank you for the quick reply. You are correct – I am receiving email / form submission on the robertcascio.com forms, but the floridalandgroup.com forms are not working. I was wondering if you can offer any troubleshooting for that site: the residential application, the commercial application, payment form, and website feedback forms all just reset to blank instead of submitting. Thank you in advance for your help.
Robert

Hi Robert,

It could be your theme or a conflict with another plugin. Try changing themes or disabling other plugins to narrow down the problem.

Amy says:

Feature request:

I wish I could add headings or just text between fields. For instance, if I wanted to add a line of text that says, “If yes, please continue with the form.” Then continue with form fields.

Thanks for this great plugin!

Schalk Joubert says:

Hi Amy
did you manage this? I have the same request, wud love to somehow edit the forms once build to add in some html

Anybody?

thanks

schalk

Schalk Joubert says:

Hi Amy

I know how to do this. I’ll post it just now in a new thread.

s

Monir says:

Its a great plugin!

The only missing field is to allow attach any document or image.
Is there anyway it is possible?

Megan says:

I downloaded FormBuilder and it worked fine when I tested it about a week ago. Now, none of the forms will post. I’m on WordPress 3.05. I put things in the forms, I click the “Send” button, and it reloads the page. It does not put the data anywhere; it’s not stored or e-mailed to me. I’ve created new forms, and the problem seems to be in the plugin. How can I fix this?

Kat says:

First off — excellent plugin! Love it and would like to continue using it. Today noticed that test submissions produce the following error when trying to view the form submissions in the WP FormBuilder admin panel.

“Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /home/dfinvest/public_html/development/wp-content/plugins/formbuilder/extensions/formbuilder_xml_db_results.class.php on line 716″

In the Recent Form Results list only the date of submission shows, and when it’s clicked, the following error message shows in the Form Details:

“Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /home/dfinvest/public_html/development/wp-content/plugins/formbuilder/extensions/formbuilder_xml_db_results.class.php on line 541″

When exported to CSV, the form data is missing, only date and this error are shown:
“Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /home/dfinvest/public_html/pm/wp-content/plugins/formbuilder/extensions/formbuilder_xml_db_results.class.php on line 877″

Any ideas, anyone? The form worked fine on Mar 6, today (March 9), all these errors…

Thanks in advance!

Kat says:

Found the culprit — in case anyone else runs into the same issue: take a look at formbuilder.php file, line 1304. Somehow, my version was missing the forward slash that closes the form tag in the xml that’s written to the database. Adding the forward slash fixed my issue. Cheers!

Dave says:

Thank you for the plug in.

I have used on a number of clients websites but have an issue with some.

When the email is sent from the form it shows the receiver sees the sender as me the website administrator not the clients email address I have in the FormBuilder > Forms > Recipient field of form.

Your help would be appreciated, Dave

Hi Dave,

The recipient field on the form is used to define who the email will go to when the form is filled out. The sender email address is typically set using the email address the person enters on the form in order that the form “appears” to come directly from that person. This also makes it easy to hit “Reply” to a form, and have the email go directly back to the person who filled it out instead of going to the web server.

This functionality is altered somewhat if you have turned on Alternate Email Handling and the email may appear to come directly from the blog. This is done in an attempt to fix email flow problems.

Hopefully this answers your question.
Have a great day,

Hout says:

When the form is online and gets sent by the website visitor, i receive my emails from wordpress@mydomain.com and the person who completed the form gets an autorespond back from WordPress. is there an option that i could change the email address to show something else? Thank you

Dave says:

Hi is there anyone there that can help with this issue??

Hout says:

Great Plugin, however i have two problems/comments and hoping someone in here can help me.

#1) In the question forms, how do you create a question with multiple select option?

#2) When the auto responder sends out an email, the recipient receives an email from wordpress@mydomain.com, does anyone know how to fix this issue, in the auto responder Form Name and Form Email has been input as a Customer.Service@mydomain.com but thats not what it shows when the email goes out.

Seems like, somehow my previous post got deleted, sorry if this is a duplicate

geoff says:

Hello there – I was wondering if you had plans on implementing fieldsets in formbuilder?

Neowulf says:

I can’t get this plugin to stop the error:
“Form Problem:

You have already submitted this form data once.”

Someone submits the application and it sends the email to them and me and posts it in the database but NEVER goes to the thankyoutext page nor emails the AUTORESPONSE.

Some help with this would be greatly appreciated..

Here is how to add custom title fields between form fields.
Pick a form field you don’t use, in my case ( large-text-area )
[ you can also create a new field, though changing an existing is easier ]

Now open the formbuilder/css/formbuilder_styles_admin.css in any text editor / dreamweaver.

and change the code to something like this:

.formBuilderForm .large_text_area .formBuilderLabel
color: #ffffff;
}
.formBuilderForm .large_text_area textarea
{
width: 98%;
display: none;

Upload the css file back onto your server.

Then go create a field using large-text-area field, and fill in your title / heading.

Thats it.

Good Luck

schalk at thissideupmedia . co . za

Hout says:

Does this plugin provide any kind of support (Paid or Free)??? i have two questions which i have posted last week but i have not heard back. please let me know if my problems can be solved. I have tried deactivating/changing all the other plugin’s but same problem

#1) Multiple choice questions.
#2) Auto responder sends out emails from wordpress@domain.com, can this be fixed or changed?

James says:

We’re going to be testing out Get Satisfaction as our support resource for the FormBuilder WordPress plugin. We would love to hear your feedback on this or any additional suggestions you might have. If it works out, we’ll be moving from using these comment threads for support to Get Satisfaction. Find us here:

Hout says:

Hello James,
will anyone help us with the existing problems on this page?

#1) Multiple choice questions.

Hi Hout,

I answered you on the Get Satisfaction site.

Star says:

hello ;
What do I do with the following error?(While making a new form)
Unable to create new form. Attempted to run the following SQL:
INSERT INTO wp_formbuilder_forms(`name`,`subject`,`recipient`,`thankyoutext`) VALUES (‘A New Form’, ‘Generic Website Feedback Form’, ‘star.debugger@gmail.com’, ”);

Hi Star,

I’m not sure why that wouldn’t work on your server. I’ll need to know more about your hosting environment in order to determine the cause of the problem. Website host, php version, mysql version, wordpress version…

Dan Turkette says:

I don’t know why people have their panties in a wad. I’ve installed this on 6 sites, and it works fine. I’ve even modified it on two, it still works fine. People, it’s free.

And, pay attention, James said the forum for support moved here: http://getsatisfaction.com/truthmedia/products/truthmedia_formbuilder_wordpress_plugin

Keep up the good work James.

Star says:

Hello James ,
Thanks For Answer .
===============
WordPress : 3.1
PHP : 5.2.16
MySQL : 5.1.56
Apachee : 2.2.17
operating system : centos 5.5 x86_64
===============
In the meantime, I am sure no problem hosting .
Other sites in the same host with the same profile with this plugin does nothing wrong!
The problem is on the same site!
I’ve had no problem with this plugin was working.
I wanted to upgrade WordPress, I Because of this I removed all plugins,Even the table related to the plugins I’ve removed from the database.Then I upgraded,After the upgrade WordPress, I re-installed the plugin to add form gives this error.

Daniel says:

Hi!
I have problem with posting information, after posting i dont see “Thank you” page but:
“Form Problem:
You have already submitted this form data once.”
I have WordPress 3.11 and FB v0.86.
Any idea how can I fix it?

Thanks in advance!

admin says:

There is a known compatibility problem between the Thesis theme framework and FormBuilder. We have not been able to find a suitable solution at the moment, but the latest version of FormBuilder will give a warning to the admin if both are found together on the same site.

Bernie says:

I’m trying to use FormBuilder on a blog that allows anyone to register. I figured out how to allow certain level members access to FormBuilder, but is there anyway to keep forms created private to only the member who created it and the admin?

In other words, I don’t want all members to view all the forms that have been created – is there a way to make forms (and their results) viewable only to the member who created it and the admin?

Hi Bernie,

That’s a fairly complex custom solution and I’d have to say FormBuilder isn’t designed to function in that way. Sorry.

Jim Lewey says:

I’m using formbuilder ver 0.87 with WordPress 3.1.2.
Great plugin but having one problem I’m only using 2 fields Name and email. when the fields values are plugged in if you press tab to go to the next field a 0 appears where the field was and moves the field down.
it does this for each field. after clicking submit the screen is cleaned up and my thank you response is displayed.

Hey jim,

That sounds like some sort of problem with your required field error messages. Check to make sure you have the required fields set up properly and that each has an appropriate error message configured.

Josh says:

I am trying to add a simple form, it only has a few text fields and three check boxes. When I enter in information and click “send”, the form data is sent to the e-mail address I specified when creating the form, however I always get two copies of the e-mail. I’ve tried changing the recipient e-mail to a different e-mail host, and it still sends two copies. How can I fix this? Thank you,

Josh

Hi Josh,

The problem could be related to your theme. I recommend trying a different one. If that doesn’t work, try disabling all other plugins to see if there is some sort of conflict.

FYI. I’m going to be closing down this comment thread as we have released v. 0.87 already. We are also moving to begin handling support requests using the GetSatisfaction system. You’re welcome to come visit us here: http://getsatisfaction.com/truthmedia

Have a great day,

WP Development Blog

View our latest plugins and themes on our blog. You may also subscribe to our RSS feed.

Plugins